Everyone knows has heard of Mount Everest and knows is Earth’s highest mountain. Its peak is 8,848 metres above sea level. We have all read it on Genreal Knowledge on our schools but here are some of the facts which will surely shock you.
Before revealing facts let me introduce Everest‘s location so, Where is Mount Everest?
Mount Everest is located in the Mahalangur mountain range in Nepal.
Some Interesting Mount Everest Facts
- The youngest person to reach the summit is 13 year old Jordan Romero. In May 2010, the young American broke the record previously held by 15 year old Ming Kipa of Nepal.
- Frenchman Marco Siffredi and Austrian Stefan Gatt snowboarded down the mountain in 2001.
- Since 1969 at least one person has died on Everest every year except for 1977.
- Reinhold Messner was the first to climb the mountain alone and without oxygen in 1980.
- Google has now mapped Everest, although it did not get to the summit
- There are estimated to be 200 dead bodies on the mountain and they are used as waypoints for climbers.
- The world’s tallest man-made structure of any kind with the Burj Khalifa in Dubai at 829m. Everest is more than ten times its height.
- The first tweet from the summit was sent by Kenton Cool in 2011. He tweeted: “Everest summit no 9! 1st tweet from the top of the world thanks to a weak 3G signal.
- In 2004 there was a wedding on the summit. Moni Mule Pati and Pem Dorjee Sherpa, both from Nepal kept their plans a secret from other climbers until they reached the peak.
- 1974 was the last year that no one climbed Mount Everest